|By PR Newswire||
|January 21, 2014 09:20 AM EST||
LONDON, Jan. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportbuyer.com just published a new market research report:
Analysis of the Global Web Conferencing Market
Growing Competition and Price Pressures Push Vendors to Seek New Ways to Differentiate
The global web conferencing market is experiencing significant shifts with emergence of new services, mobility, and social collaboration disrupting the status quo to create new opportunities. Demand for web conferencing has increased significantly as companies implement efficient collaboration across dispersed teams. Improved user experiences and expanded use cases are further driving adoption. Mobility enhancements and growing integration with workflows and business applications will create new growth opportunities. This analysis provides web conferencing providers and their partners with a detailed analysis of the current and changing dynamics in the fast-evolving marketplace.
• The global web conferencing market is experiencing significant shifts with emergence of new services, mobility, and social collaboration disrupting the status quo to create new opportunities.
• User demand for collaborative technologies continues to grow rapidly triggered by three drivers that are profoundly altering the business landscape:
oThe ongoing workplace transformation, consumerization, and need for flexible work styles
oThe rapid pace of technology change and speed of innovation among businesses
oThe imperative to improve productivity
• Bring-You-Own-App (BYOA) is leading to a proliferation of non-IT sanctioned applications forcing IT to evaluate user-led solutions in its decision-making process.
• A proliferation of free or low-priced basic screen sharing tools is bringing in early-stage commoditization. Competition from cloud video conferencing is putting further pressure on prices.
• Vendors are looking to differentiate by moving from a "one size fits all" approach to solutions that drive specific use cases and business processes.
• Market shares have shifted with market leader Cisco continuing to lose share at a slow pace while Adobe, Citrix, FuzeBox, LogMeIn (join.me) and others have staked bigger claims in the market.
• There has been a significant slowdown in the on-premises market, despite strong Lync traction. With the exception of Microsoft, most on-premises vendors have reported slow growth or a decline.
• North America and Latin America (NALA) remains the largest market in revenue terms, while Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA ) bounced back after a slowdown. Asia-Pacific saw suppressed growth due to greater price-based competition as well as currency fluctuations.
• The global web conferencing market, which includes hosted and on-premises solutions, grew at a healthyX percent in 2012 to reach $X billion in revenue.
• Web conferencing software and services are forecast to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of X percent from 2012 to 2017 to reach $X billion by 2017.
• Web conferencing solutions continue to evolve from online meetings to social and collaborative platforms. Growth is being driven by the ongoing transition from audio-only communications to richer web and video collaboration.
• Demand is growing rapidly with several vendors reporting greater than X to X percent growth in usage, primarily driven by a larger base of users and wider deployments. There is clearly an accelerated pace of adoption as the value of web collaboration is well understood for productivity enhancements and cost savings.
• Bookings are growing significantly faster than revenue. While user demand is growing, revenue growth is under pressure due to greater market maturity and the impact of declining revenue per license.
• Competition is emerging from new quarters. There is a growing impact of alternatives including freemium services and basic screen sharing tools. As price-based competition emerges, differentiation is getting more challenging.
• The line between web and video conferencing is blurring with the emergence of cloud video conferencing services that are beefing up content sharing features.
• Key trends gaining ground include convergence of synchronous and asynchronous communications due to greater user demand for better knowledge/content management (file sharing, capture, flexible storage, on-demand streaming).
• Mobile usage is exploding. Users are demanding enhanced meeting features and control from mobile devices. It is estimated that the number of mobile downloads for web conferencing has reached more than X million in 2013.
• Vendors are increasingly leading with mobile first to enable the transition from content consumption to productivity over tablets and smartphones. Companies that lead in the delivery of mobile collaboration and content will become the market disruptors.
• VoIP audio has become the defacto mode for several users and is growing very fast. VoIP now constitutes X to X percent of all integrated web-audio contracts for several large vendors.
• Hosted services remain the dominant model contributing X percent of total web conferencing revenue in 2012, up from Xpercent the prior year. Growth in hosted services surpassed on-premises growth as more users lean in favor of cloud for collaboration needs.
• Within the hosted services market, growth in EMEA at X percent in 2012 far exceeded the growth in other regions. EMEA saw an uptick in demand, after undergoing suppressed conditions in prior years.
• In 2012, Asia-Pacific growth for hosted services at Xpercent reflected a slowdown relative to years before. This was due to greater price-based competition as well as adverse impact of currency fluctuations. The outlook for Asia-Pacific remains strong as both the global and regional vendors look at further expansion.
• Web conferencing is swiftly moving away from vanilla online meetings to workflows in the context of business needs. Evolving set of capabilities, that are deeply embedded across key business functions, are enabling information workers and managers to make faster and better business decisions.
• Among the key applications for web conferencing; sales, marketing, and training remain widely used. Use for general-purpose meetings (strategy development, administration, project management) has gone up due to the spread of web conferencing among a larger user base within organizations.
• Growth in the future will come from expansion into under-penetrated segments of the market including the rapidly growing mid-market as well as verticals such as healthcare, education, manufacturing, and retail.
• The low end of the market is increasingly getting saturated with offerings (such as AnyMeeting, join.me, Zoom) which have garnered a big user base. Several tier 1 vendors are now offering freemium services to better penetrate SMBs.
• Among the key trends, WebRTC is gaining traction at a fast pace with the potential to bring in new opportunities in the already fast changing video and web conferencing markets. WebRTC will see greatest adoption for customer service applications, where the lower barriers to adoption will promote usage.
• Limited browser and mobility support as well as ongoing turf wars on standardization for WebRTC will ensure that the sophisticated multi-party web and video clients currently in place will likely remain in demand.
• Virtualization of communication applications is the next big wave leading to efficiencies and greater flexibility. Major UC vendors are well on the path to virtualize their collaboration stack.
1. Web conferencing is moving away from vanilla online meetings to integrations with business applications built into user defined workflows.
2. The growing impact of alternatives, including freemium and basic screen sharing services, is leading to price-based competition making differentiation more challenging.
3. Due to a growing focus on mobile first, solutions must enable the transition from content consumption to productivity over mobile devices.
4. There is a greater user demand for convergence of real time and asynchronous collaboration for better knowledge/content management.
5. Decision making is shifting to IT as bigger deployments gain ground. At the same time BYOA is making users and line-of-business heads key influencers.
Market Overview—Key Definitions
Hosted Web Conferencing:
• Based on the SaaS delivery model, web conferencing software is hosted by vendors in their data centers and provided to customers on a multi-tenant basis via the Internet.
• Offered either as a subscription (flat fee per seat) or on a usage basis (cost per user per minute).
On-premises Web Conferencing:
• Available as a licensed software for installation on servers, the web conferencing application is deployed behind the enterprise firewall and managed by the customer.
• Typically offered as a converged conferencing or a Unified Communications (UC) solution.
Managed Web Conferencing:
• Fully managed on-site or remotely by a service provider, managed web conferencing services are dedicated to a single customer. They are aimed at users that want more control over meeting content and security.
• Managed web conferencing services are a nascent market today and are expected to grow significantly.
Research Methodology and Scope
Primary research with web conferencing providers; Frost & Sullivan published reports, decision support databases, company Websites, and other secondary resources.
This research covers the market for hosted web conferencing services and on-premises web conferencing solutions. Web conferencing allows people to hold real-time, synchronous meetings and conferences over the web. The most basic feature of a web conference is screen sharing, whereby conference participants see content on the presenter's screen. Additionally, audio communications in a web conference can either be done through traditional public switched telephone networks (PSTN) networks or through voice over Internet protocol (VoIP). Typical features of a web conference include:
• Slide presentation, desktop sharing, and application sharing
• Web co-browsing and file transfer
• Integrated PSTN and/or VoIP audio for web-based conference control
• Public and private chat (text messaging)
• White boarding and annotation
• Polls and surveys
• Recording, archiving, and broadcasting
• Desktop video
This research does NOT include:
• Revenue from annual software assurance or maintenance programs and ongoing support services—such revenue is associated with the total installed base of licenses and not tied to new license sales.
• Revenue from stand-alone audio conferencing services is not included. However, in meetings where the vendor seamlessly integrates audio with web conferencing, revenue from "integrated" audio-web conferences is included.
• Revenue from webcasting services is not included since webcasting represents a distinct market and application. Pure-play webcasting services are excluded from the coverage of this research. Revenue from webinar services offered by web conferencing vendors is included. Examples of webinar solutions that are included are WebEx Event Center and Citrix GoToWebinar.
Revenue in this study is reported in US$ (USD) Regional Segmentation—The global web conferencing market is segmented into three regions:
• NALA (North America and Latin America)
• EMEA (Europe, Middle East, and Africa), and
Key Questions This Study Will Answer
Is the market growing, how long will it continue to grow, and at what rate?
What are the key factors that will drive growth? Are there significant restraints that will hold the market back?
How are the key competitors positioned today and how is the landscape evolving?
How will the structure of the market change with time? Is it ripe for acquisitions?
How will web meetings evolve over time to address changing user needs?
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
2. Market Overview
3. Total Web Conferencing Market
4. External Challenges: Drivers and Restraints
5. Forecast and Trends
6. Hosted Web Conferencing Services Market Breakdown
7. Hosted Services—Channel Trends for CSPs
8. On-premises Web Conferencing Market Breakdown
9. Market Share and Competitive Analysis
10. The Last Word
Read the full report:
Analysis of the Global Web Conferencing Market
For more information:
Research Advisor at Reportbuyer.com
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +44 208 816 85 48
The increasing popularity of the Internet of Things necessitates that our physical and cognitive relationship with wearable technology will change rapidly in the near future. This advent means logging has become a thing of the past. Before, it was on us to track our own data, but now that data is automatically available. What does this mean for mHealth and the "connected" body? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Lisa Calkins, CEO and co-founder of Amadeus Consulting, will discuss the impact of wea...
May. 1, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 692
SYS-CON Events announced today that Peak 10, Inc., a national IT infrastructure and cloud services provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Peak 10 provides reliable, tailored data center and network services, cloud and managed services. Its solutions are designed to scale and adapt to customers’ changing business needs, enabling them to lower costs, improve performance and focus inter...
May. 1, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,123
We’ve worked with dozens of early adopters across numerous industries and will debunk common misperceptions, which starts with understanding that many of the connected products we’ll use over the next 5 years are already products, they’re just not yet connected. With an IoT product, time-in-market provides much more essential feedback than ever before. Innovation comes from what you do with the data that the connected product provides in order to enhance the customer experience and optimize busi...
May. 1, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 981
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Klein, CEO and Co-founder of Rachio, will discuss next generation communities that are using IoT to create more sustainable, intelligent communities. One example is Sterling Ranch, a 10,000 home development that – with the help of Siemens – will integrate IoT technology into the community to provide residents with energy and water savings as well as intelligent security. Everything from stop lights to sprinkler systems to building infrastructures will run ef...
May. 1, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 890
So, you bought into the current machine learning craze and went on to collect millions/billions of records from this promising new data source. Now, what do you do with them? Too often, the abundance of data quickly turns into an abundance of problems. How do you extract that "magic essence" from your data without falling into the common pitfalls? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Natalia Ponomareva, Software Engineer at Google, will provide tips on how to be successful in large scale machine lear...
May. 1, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,208
Digital payments using wearable devices such as smart watches, fitness trackers, and payment wristbands are an increasing area of focus for industry participants, and consumer acceptance from early trials and deployments has encouraged some of the biggest names in technology and banking to continue their push to drive growth in this nascent market. Wearable payment systems may utilize near field communication (NFC), radio frequency identification (RFID), or quick response (QR) codes and barcodes...
May. 1, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 791
SYS-CON Events announced today that Stratoscale, the software company developing the next generation data center operating system, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Stratoscale is revolutionizing the data center with a zero-to-cloud-in-minutes solution. With Stratoscale’s hardware-agnostic, Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) solution to store everything, run anything and scale everywhere...
May. 1, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,564
Angular 2 is a complete re-write of the popular framework AngularJS. Programming in Angular 2 is greatly simplified – now it's a component-based well-performing framework. This immersive one-day workshop at 18th Cloud Expo, led by Yakov Fain, a Java Champion and a co-founder of the IT consultancy Farata Systems and the product company SuranceBay, will provide you with everything you wanted to know about Angular 2.
May. 1, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,741
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
May. 1, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 790
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
May. 1, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,319
You deployed your app with the Bluemix PaaS and it's gaining some serious traction, so it's time to make some tweaks. Did you design your application in a way that it can scale in the cloud? Were you even thinking about the cloud when you built the app? If not, chances are your app is going to break. Check out this webcast to learn various techniques for designing applications that will scale successfully in Bluemix, for the confidence you need to take your apps to the next level and beyond.
May. 1, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,486
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
May. 1, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,087
Increasing IoT connectivity is forcing enterprises to find elegant solutions to organize and visualize all incoming data from these connected devices with re-configurable dashboard widgets to effectively allow rapid decision-making for everything from immediate actions in tactical situations to strategic analysis and reporting. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Shikhir Singh, Senior Developer Relations Manager at Sencha, will discuss how to create HTML5 dashboards that interact with IoT devic...
May. 1, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,003
Artificial Intelligence has the potential to massively disrupt IoT. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, AJ Abdallat, CEO of Beyond AI, will discuss what the five main drivers are in Artificial Intelligence that could shape the future of the Internet of Things. AJ Abdallat is CEO of Beyond AI. He has over 20 years of management experience in the fields of artificial intelligence, sensors, instruments, devices and software for telecommunications, life sciences, environmental monitoring, process...
May. 1, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 921
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ericsson has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Ericsson is a world leader in the rapidly changing environment of communications technology – providing equipment, software and services to enable transformation through mobility. Some 40 percent of global mobile traffic runs through networks we have supplied. More than 1 billion subscribers around the world re...
May. 1, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 969
There is an ever-growing explosion of new devices that are connected to the Internet using “cloud” solutions. This rapid growth is creating a massive new demand for efficient access to data. And it’s not just about connecting to that data anymore. This new demand is bringing new issues and challenges and it is important for companies to scale for the coming growth. And with that scaling comes the need for greater security, gathering and data analysis, storage, connectivity and, of course, the...
May. 1, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 836
SYS-CON Events announced today that DatacenterDynamics has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. DatacenterDynamics is a brand of DCD Group, a global B2B media and publishing company that develops products to help senior professionals in the world's most ICT dependent organizations make risk-based infrastructure and capacity decisions.
May. 1, 2016 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,494
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, will discuss how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to im...
Apr. 30, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,697
This is not a small hotel event. It is also not a big vendor party where politicians and entertainers are more important than real content. This is Cloud Expo, the world's longest-running conference and exhibition focused on Cloud Computing and all that it entails. If you want serious presentations and valuable insight about Cloud Computing for three straight days, then register now for Cloud Expo.
Apr. 30, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,729
IoT device adoption is growing at staggering rates, and with it comes opportunity for developers to meet consumer demand for an ever more connected world. Wireless communication is the key part of the encompassing components of any IoT device. Wireless connectivity enhances the device utility at the expense of ease of use and deployment challenges. Since connectivity is fundamental for IoT device development, engineers must understand how to overcome the hurdles inherent in incorporating multipl...
Apr. 30, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,469