|By Marketwired .||
|March 8, 2013 10:00 AM EST||
AUSTIN, TX -- (Marketwire) -- 03/08/13 -- 2013 SXSW GAMING EXPO --
Core News Facts:
- In the quest to keep kids active, parents have found a powerful new ally in Zamzee, a fast-growing social enterprise on a mission to help kids and their families make physical activity a fun part of daily life. Zamzee combines the fun of games and the science of motivation to boost kids' physical activity levels -- and it's succeeding with help from Bunchball, the pioneer and market leader in gamification.
- Zamzee is an activity meter and motivational website meant to increase physical activity levels and, in doing so, help fight the sedentary behavior epidemic in the U.S., a key risk factor associated with obesity, heart disease and diabetes.
- Zamzee's gamified website allows kids to view their activity levels, earn Pointz for movement, take challenges and achieve goals.
- Worn on a belt or carried in a pocket, the Zamzee activity meter monitors kids' physical activity throughout the day. Users regularly plug their devices into their computers and upload recorded physical activity data into their online personal profile. The profile is a key part of the motivational, game-based website, designed to initiate and sustain behavioral change based on scientific principles.
- On zamzee.com, kids can climb the leaderboard and compete with friends, take on challenges through storybook-style adventures, and take actions that earn them double, triple or even quadruple Pointz.
- Bunchball's acclaimed Nitro platform and its avatar engine are key parts of the zamzee.com motivational experience, allowing users to personalize their profile in a way that's safe and compliant with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act.
- A study of Zamzee sponsored by HopeLab and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation spotlights the motivational power of gamification. The study enrolled 448 middle school-aged adolescents randomly assigned to two groups: Those that used the Zamzee activity meter and also received access to the motivational website, and those that received a Zamzee meter but had no access to the site.
- The study found that the kids with access to the gamified website showed an average 59 percent increase in moderate-to-vigorous physical activity over those who were only given the meter -- the equivalent of doing an extra 45 minutes of non-stop push-ups every week. These results persisted throughout the six-month study period, and access to the game-based motivational web experience was the crucial differentiator.
- Significant increases in physical activity were seen across a number of groups at risk for sedentary behavior, including an average 27 percent increase among overweight participants and an average 103 percent increase among girls.
- Study results also showed the program had a positive effect on key biological factors associated with diseases linked to sedentary behavior. Participants experienced reduced gains in LDL or "bad" cholesterol, a risk factor for heart disease, and also showed improved blood sugar control, a risk factor for Type 2 diabetes
- The game-like Zamzee experience incorporates the avatar engine from Bunchball's Nitro platform. The Nitro platform works by using motivational techniques -- like goal-setting, real-time feedback, competition, virtual rewards, and leveling up -- to keep users participating, progressing and achieving.
- Despite its reliance on game mechanics, gamification is anything but child's play. Bunchball's comprehensive suite of innovative cloud-based gamification solutions empowers companies of all sizes -- from start-ups to some of the world's largest enterprises -- to engage and motivate, leading to improved employee productivity, customer loyalty, audience engagement, and ROI.
Bunchball at 2013 SXSW Gaming Expo:
Bunchball is demonstrating Nitro March 8-10 at the SXSW Gaming Expo, part of the 2013 SXSW Interactive Festival in Austin, Tex. In Booth #247 and 249 at the Palmer Events Center, Bunchball will show how a wide range of organizations, from toy manufacturers and entertainment producers to banks and cellular service carriers, rely on the same fundamental mechanics that cause people to enjoy playing games also can be used to shape behaviors and motivate people to do more, know more, collaborate more and share more.
Attributable to Rajat Paharia, Founder and Chief Product Officer, Bunchball
"In an age when kids spend so much of their day playing sedentary video games on consoles and smartphones, Zamzee shows that the dynamics of game play have the potential to move people in ways that can make their lives better. And across a six-month research study, the real power of gamification emerges in startling detail: we see that kids who regularly visit Zamzee's Bunchball-powered site engage in an extra 45 minutes of physical activity each week, on average. Bunchball is delighted to help provide the gamification engine for this remarkable and important social enterprise."
Attributable to Lance Henderson, CEO, Zamzee
"The Zamzee program and the research behind it is a strong testament to the power of gamification. Kids stay motivated with Zamzee because the program delivers a fun, rewarding experience around physical activity. Bunchball has been a great partner to us in this work."
Bunchball is the market leader and visionary in gamification. Bunchball enables organizations to improve business performance throughout their ecosystem by creating highly active and loyal customers, employees, and partners. Bunchball's comprehensive suite of innovative cloud-based solutions empowers companies to engage and motivate, leading to improved employee productivity, customer loyalty, audience engagement, and ROI. Bunchball's world-class customers include Adobe, HP, Cisco, MTV, Comcast, LiveOps, VMware, and Hasbro. Based in Silicon Valley, Bunchball's investors include Granite Ventures, Triangle Peak Partners, Northport Investments, and Correlation Ventures. For more information, visit www.bunchball.com, our blog at www.gamification.com, or follow @bunchball.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2251380
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2251382
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2251384
Email: [email protected]
UAS, drones or unmanned aircraft, no matter what you call them — this was their week. Our news stream was flooded with updates on the newly announced rules and regulations for commercial UAS from the FAA. So, naturally we have dedicated this week’s top news round up to highlight some of our favorite UAS stories.
Jun. 29, 2016 03:02 PM EDT Reads: 109
Internet of @ThingsExpo has announced today that Chris Matthieu has been named tech chair of Internet of @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 6thInternet of @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jun. 29, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 263
CenturyLink has announced that application server solutions from GENBAND are now available as part of CenturyLink’s Networx contracts. The General Services Administration (GSA)’s Networx program includes the largest telecommunications contract vehicles ever awarded by the federal government. CenturyLink recently secured an extension through spring 2020 of its offerings available to federal government agencies via GSA’s Networx Universal and Enterprise contracts. GENBAND’s EXPERiUS™ Application...
Jun. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 295
Basho Technologies has announced the latest release of Basho Riak TS, version 1.3. Riak TS is an enterprise-grade NoSQL database optimized for Internet of Things (IoT). The open source version enables developers to download the software for free and use it in production as well as make contributions to the code and develop applications around Riak TS. Enhancements to Riak TS make it quick, easy and cost-effective to spin up an instance to test new ideas and build IoT applications. In addition to...
Jun. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 611
In addition to all the benefits, IoT is also bringing new kind of customer experience challenges - cars that unlock themselves, thermostats turning houses into saunas and baby video monitors broadcasting over the internet. This list can only increase because while IoT services should be intuitive and simple to use, the delivery ecosystem is a myriad of potential problems as IoT explodes complexity. So finding a performance issue is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.
Jun. 29, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 277
"We work in the area of Big Data analytics and Big Data analytics is a very crowded space - you have Hadoop, ETL, warehousing, visualization and there's a lot of effort trying to get these tools to talk to each other," explained Mukund Deshpande, head of the Analytics practice at Accelerite, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jun. 29, 2016 12:37 PM EDT Reads: 278
When people aren’t talking about VMs and containers, they’re talking about serverless architecture. Serverless is about no maintenance. It means you are not worried about low-level infrastructural and operational details. An event-driven serverless platform is a great use case for IoT. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Animesh Singh, an STSM and Lead for IBM Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, will detail how to build a distributed serverless, polyglot, microservices framework using open source tec...
Jun. 29, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 533
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Jun. 29, 2016 11:58 AM EDT Reads: 303
Apixio Inc. has raised $19.3 million in Series D venture capital funding led by SSM Partners with participation from First Analysis, Bain Capital Ventures and Apixio’s largest angel investor. Apixio will dedicate the proceeds toward advancing and scaling products powered by its cognitive computing platform, further enabling insights for optimal patient care. The Series D funding comes as Apixio experiences strong momentum and increasing demand for its HCC Profiler solution, which mines unstruc...
Jun. 29, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 482
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. He cited examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He also highlighted how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable ...
Jun. 29, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 431
Presidio has received the 2015 EMC Partner Services Quality Award from EMC Corporation for achieving outstanding service excellence and customer satisfaction as measured by the EMC Partner Services Quality (PSQ) program. Presidio was also honored as the 2015 EMC Americas Marketing Excellence Partner of the Year and 2015 Mid-Market East Partner of the Year. The EMC PSQ program is a project-specific survey program designed for partners with Service Partner designations to solicit customer feedbac...
Jun. 29, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 563
IoT offers a value of almost $4 trillion to the manufacturing industry through platforms that can improve margins, optimize operations & drive high performance work teams. By using IoT technologies as a foundation, manufacturing customers are integrating worker safety with manufacturing systems, driving deep collaboration and utilizing analytics to exponentially increased per-unit margins. However, as Benoit Lheureux, the VP for Research at Gartner points out, “IoT project implementers often ...
Jun. 29, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 549
"delaPlex is a software development company. We do team-based outsourcing development," explained Mark Rivers, COO and Co-founder of delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jun. 29, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 477
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Jun. 29, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,281
Connected devices and the industrial internet are growing exponentially every year with Cisco expecting 50 billion devices to be in operation by 2020. In this period of growth, location-based insights are becoming invaluable to many businesses as they adopt new connected technologies. Knowing when and where these devices connect from is critical for a number of scenarios in supply chain management, disaster management, emergency response, M2M, location marketing and more. In his session at @Th...
Jun. 29, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,243
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jun. 29, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 921
The idea of comparing data in motion (at the sensor level) to data at rest (in a Big Data server warehouse) with predictive analytics in the cloud is very appealing to the industrial IoT sector. The problem Big Data vendors have, however, is access to that data in motion at the sensor location. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Scott Allen, CMO of FreeWave, discussed how as IoT is increasingly adopted by industrial markets, there is going to be an increased demand for sensor data from the outermos...
Jun. 29, 2016 09:25 AM EDT Reads: 254
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Jun. 29, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,437
IoT is rapidly changing the way enterprises are using data to improve business decision-making. In order to derive business value, organizations must unlock insights from the data gathered and then act on these. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, and Peter Shashkin, Head of Development Department at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how one organization leveraged IoT, cloud technology and data analysis to improve customer experiences and effi...
Jun. 29, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 492
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate a...
Jun. 29, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 945