|By Marketwired .||
|March 8, 2013 10:00 AM EST||
AUSTIN, TX -- (Marketwire) -- 03/08/13 -- 2013 SXSW GAMING EXPO --
Core News Facts:
- In the quest to keep kids active, parents have found a powerful new ally in Zamzee, a fast-growing social enterprise on a mission to help kids and their families make physical activity a fun part of daily life. Zamzee combines the fun of games and the science of motivation to boost kids' physical activity levels -- and it's succeeding with help from Bunchball, the pioneer and market leader in gamification.
- Zamzee is an activity meter and motivational website meant to increase physical activity levels and, in doing so, help fight the sedentary behavior epidemic in the U.S., a key risk factor associated with obesity, heart disease and diabetes.
- Zamzee's gamified website allows kids to view their activity levels, earn Pointz for movement, take challenges and achieve goals.
- Worn on a belt or carried in a pocket, the Zamzee activity meter monitors kids' physical activity throughout the day. Users regularly plug their devices into their computers and upload recorded physical activity data into their online personal profile. The profile is a key part of the motivational, game-based website, designed to initiate and sustain behavioral change based on scientific principles.
- On zamzee.com, kids can climb the leaderboard and compete with friends, take on challenges through storybook-style adventures, and take actions that earn them double, triple or even quadruple Pointz.
- Bunchball's acclaimed Nitro platform and its avatar engine are key parts of the zamzee.com motivational experience, allowing users to personalize their profile in a way that's safe and compliant with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act.
- A study of Zamzee sponsored by HopeLab and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation spotlights the motivational power of gamification. The study enrolled 448 middle school-aged adolescents randomly assigned to two groups: Those that used the Zamzee activity meter and also received access to the motivational website, and those that received a Zamzee meter but had no access to the site.
- The study found that the kids with access to the gamified website showed an average 59 percent increase in moderate-to-vigorous physical activity over those who were only given the meter -- the equivalent of doing an extra 45 minutes of non-stop push-ups every week. These results persisted throughout the six-month study period, and access to the game-based motivational web experience was the crucial differentiator.
- Significant increases in physical activity were seen across a number of groups at risk for sedentary behavior, including an average 27 percent increase among overweight participants and an average 103 percent increase among girls.
- Study results also showed the program had a positive effect on key biological factors associated with diseases linked to sedentary behavior. Participants experienced reduced gains in LDL or "bad" cholesterol, a risk factor for heart disease, and also showed improved blood sugar control, a risk factor for Type 2 diabetes
- The game-like Zamzee experience incorporates the avatar engine from Bunchball's Nitro platform. The Nitro platform works by using motivational techniques -- like goal-setting, real-time feedback, competition, virtual rewards, and leveling up -- to keep users participating, progressing and achieving.
- Despite its reliance on game mechanics, gamification is anything but child's play. Bunchball's comprehensive suite of innovative cloud-based gamification solutions empowers companies of all sizes -- from start-ups to some of the world's largest enterprises -- to engage and motivate, leading to improved employee productivity, customer loyalty, audience engagement, and ROI.
Bunchball at 2013 SXSW Gaming Expo:
Bunchball is demonstrating Nitro March 8-10 at the SXSW Gaming Expo, part of the 2013 SXSW Interactive Festival in Austin, Tex. In Booth #247 and 249 at the Palmer Events Center, Bunchball will show how a wide range of organizations, from toy manufacturers and entertainment producers to banks and cellular service carriers, rely on the same fundamental mechanics that cause people to enjoy playing games also can be used to shape behaviors and motivate people to do more, know more, collaborate more and share more.
Attributable to Rajat Paharia, Founder and Chief Product Officer, Bunchball
"In an age when kids spend so much of their day playing sedentary video games on consoles and smartphones, Zamzee shows that the dynamics of game play have the potential to move people in ways that can make their lives better. And across a six-month research study, the real power of gamification emerges in startling detail: we see that kids who regularly visit Zamzee's Bunchball-powered site engage in an extra 45 minutes of physical activity each week, on average. Bunchball is delighted to help provide the gamification engine for this remarkable and important social enterprise."
Attributable to Lance Henderson, CEO, Zamzee
"The Zamzee program and the research behind it is a strong testament to the power of gamification. Kids stay motivated with Zamzee because the program delivers a fun, rewarding experience around physical activity. Bunchball has been a great partner to us in this work."
Bunchball is the market leader and visionary in gamification. Bunchball enables organizations to improve business performance throughout their ecosystem by creating highly active and loyal customers, employees, and partners. Bunchball's comprehensive suite of innovative cloud-based solutions empowers companies to engage and motivate, leading to improved employee productivity, customer loyalty, audience engagement, and ROI. Bunchball's world-class customers include Adobe, HP, Cisco, MTV, Comcast, LiveOps, VMware, and Hasbro. Based in Silicon Valley, Bunchball's investors include Granite Ventures, Triangle Peak Partners, Northport Investments, and Correlation Ventures. For more information, visit www.bunchball.com, our blog at www.gamification.com, or follow @bunchball.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2251380
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2251382
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2251384
Email: [email protected]
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Architect for the Internet of Things and Intelligent Systems, described how to revolutionize your archit...
Jul. 30, 2015 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,390
For IoT to grow as quickly as analyst firms’ project, a lot is going to fall on developers to quickly bring applications to market. But the lack of a standard development platform threatens to slow growth and make application development more time consuming and costly, much like we’ve seen in the mobile space. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Weiner, Product Manager of the Omega DevCloud with KORE Telematics Inc., discussed the evolving requirements for developers as IoT matures and conducted a live demonstration of how quickly application development can happen when the need to comply wit...
Jul. 30, 2015 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 294
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Jul. 30, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 442
MuleSoft has announced the findings of its 2015 Connectivity Benchmark Report on the adoption and business impact of APIs. The findings suggest traditional businesses are quickly evolving into "composable enterprises" built out of hundreds of connected software services, applications and devices. Most are embracing the Internet of Things (IoT) and microservices technologies like Docker. A majority are integrating wearables, like smart watches, and more than half plan to generate revenue with APIs within the next year.
Jul. 30, 2015 02:30 PM EDT
The Internet of Everything (IoE) brings together people, process, data and things to make networked connections more relevant and valuable than ever before – transforming information into knowledge and knowledge into wisdom. IoE creates new capabilities, richer experiences, and unprecedented opportunities to improve business and government operations, decision making and mission support capabilities.
Jul. 30, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 259
Growth hacking is common for startups to make unheard-of progress in building their business. Career Hacks can help Geek Girls and those who support them (yes, that's you too, Dad!) to excel in this typically male-dominated world. Get ready to learn the facts: Is there a bias against women in the tech / developer communities? Why are women 50% of the workforce, but hold only 24% of the STEM or IT positions? Some beginnings of what to do about it! In her Opening Keynote at 16th Cloud Expo, Sandy Carter, IBM General Manager Cloud Ecosystem and Developers, and a Social Business Evangelist, d...
Jul. 30, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,046
In his keynote at 16th Cloud Expo, Rodney Rogers, CEO of Virtustream, discussed the evolution of the company from inception to its recent acquisition by EMC – including personal insights, lessons learned (and some WTF moments) along the way. Learn how Virtustream’s unique approach of combining the economics and elasticity of the consumer cloud model with proper performance, application automation and security into a platform became a breakout success with enterprise customers and a natural fit for the EMC Federation.
Jul. 30, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,152
The Internet of Things is not only adding billions of sensors and billions of terabytes to the Internet. It is also forcing a fundamental change in the way we envision Information Technology. For the first time, more data is being created by devices at the edge of the Internet rather than from centralized systems. What does this mean for today's IT professional? In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed this very serious issue of profound change in the industry.
Jul. 29, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,268
Discussions about cloud computing are evolving into discussions about enterprise IT in general. As enterprises increasingly migrate toward their own unique clouds, new issues such as the use of containers and microservices emerge to keep things interesting. In this Power Panel at 16th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed the state of cloud computing today, and what enterprise IT professionals need to know about how the latest topics and trends affect their organization.
Jul. 29, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,181
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society-changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jason Mondanaro, Director, Product Management at Metanga, discussed how you can plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change the world and it starts with business models and monetization strategies.
Jul. 28, 2015 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,760
Converging digital disruptions is creating a major sea change - Cisco calls this the Internet of Everything (IoE). IoE is the network connection of People, Process, Data and Things, fueled by Cloud, Mobile, Social, Analytics and Security, and it represents a $19Trillion value-at-stake over the next 10 years. In her keynote at @ThingsExpo, Manjula Talreja, VP of Cisco Consulting Services, discussed IoE and the enormous opportunities it provides to public and private firms alike. She will share what businesses must do to thrive in the IoE economy, citing examples from several industry sectors.
Jul. 28, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,037
There will be 150 billion connected devices by 2020. New digital businesses have already disrupted value chains across every industry. APIs are at the center of the digital business. You need to understand what assets you have that can be exposed digitally, what their digital value chain is, and how to create an effective business model around that value chain to compete in this economy. No enterprise can be complacent and not engage in the digital economy. Learn how to be the disruptor and not the disruptee.
Jul. 27, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,025
Akana has released Envision, an enhanced API analytics platform that helps enterprises mine critical insights across their digital eco-systems, understand their customers and partners and offer value-added personalized services. “In today’s digital economy, data-driven insights are proving to be a key differentiator for businesses. Understanding the data that is being tunneled through their APIs and how it can be used to optimize their business and operations is of paramount importance,” said Alistair Farquharson, CTO of Akana.
Jul. 27, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 316
Business as usual for IT is evolving into a "Make or Buy" decision on a service-by-service conversation with input from the LOBs. How does your organization move forward with cloud? In his general session at 16th Cloud Expo, Paul Maravei, Regional Sales Manager, Hybrid Cloud and Managed Services at Cisco, discusses how Cisco and its partners offer a market-leading portfolio and ecosystem of cloud infrastructure and application services that allow you to uniquely and securely combine cloud business applications and services across multiple cloud delivery models.
Jul. 27, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,898
The enterprise market will drive IoT device adoption over the next five years. In his session at @ThingsExpo, John Greenough, an analyst at BI Intelligence, division of Business Insider, analyzed how companies will adopt IoT products and the associated cost of adopting those products. John Greenough is the lead analyst covering the Internet of Things for BI Intelligence- Business Insider’s paid research service. Numerous IoT companies have cited his analysis of the IoT. Prior to joining BI Intelligence, he worked analyzing bank technology for Corporate Insight and The Clearing House Payment...
Jul. 26, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,570
"Optimal Design is a technology integration and product development firm that specializes in connecting devices to the cloud," stated Joe Wascow, Co-Founder & CMO of Optimal Design, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 25, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 383
SYS-CON Events announced today that CommVault has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. A singular vision – a belief in a better way to address current and future data management needs – guides CommVault in the development of Singular Information Management® solutions for high-performance data protection, universal availability and simplified management of data on complex storage networks. CommVault's exclusive single-platform architecture gives companies unp...
Jul. 25, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,954
Electric Cloud and Arynga have announced a product integration partnership that will bring Continuous Delivery solutions to the automotive Internet-of-Things (IoT) market. The joint solution will help automotive manufacturers, OEMs and system integrators adopt DevOps automation and Continuous Delivery practices that reduce software build and release cycle times within the complex and specific parameters of embedded and IoT software systems.
Jul. 25, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 457
"ciqada is a combined platform of hardware modules and server products that lets people take their existing devices or new devices and lets them be accessible over the Internet for their users," noted Geoff Engelstein of ciqada, a division of Mars International, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 25, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,531
Internet of Things is moving from being a hype to a reality. Experts estimate that internet connected cars will grow to 152 million, while over 100 million internet connected wireless light bulbs and lamps will be operational by 2020. These and many other intriguing statistics highlight the importance of Internet powered devices and how market penetration is going to multiply many times over in the next few years.
Jul. 25, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,485