|By Marketwired .||
|March 8, 2013 10:00 AM EST||
AUSTIN, TX -- (Marketwire) -- 03/08/13 -- 2013 SXSW GAMING EXPO --
Core News Facts:
- In the quest to keep kids active, parents have found a powerful new ally in Zamzee, a fast-growing social enterprise on a mission to help kids and their families make physical activity a fun part of daily life. Zamzee combines the fun of games and the science of motivation to boost kids' physical activity levels -- and it's succeeding with help from Bunchball, the pioneer and market leader in gamification.
- Zamzee is an activity meter and motivational website meant to increase physical activity levels and, in doing so, help fight the sedentary behavior epidemic in the U.S., a key risk factor associated with obesity, heart disease and diabetes.
- Zamzee's gamified website allows kids to view their activity levels, earn Pointz for movement, take challenges and achieve goals.
- Worn on a belt or carried in a pocket, the Zamzee activity meter monitors kids' physical activity throughout the day. Users regularly plug their devices into their computers and upload recorded physical activity data into their online personal profile. The profile is a key part of the motivational, game-based website, designed to initiate and sustain behavioral change based on scientific principles.
- On zamzee.com, kids can climb the leaderboard and compete with friends, take on challenges through storybook-style adventures, and take actions that earn them double, triple or even quadruple Pointz.
- Bunchball's acclaimed Nitro platform and its avatar engine are key parts of the zamzee.com motivational experience, allowing users to personalize their profile in a way that's safe and compliant with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act.
- A study of Zamzee sponsored by HopeLab and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation spotlights the motivational power of gamification. The study enrolled 448 middle school-aged adolescents randomly assigned to two groups: Those that used the Zamzee activity meter and also received access to the motivational website, and those that received a Zamzee meter but had no access to the site.
- The study found that the kids with access to the gamified website showed an average 59 percent increase in moderate-to-vigorous physical activity over those who were only given the meter -- the equivalent of doing an extra 45 minutes of non-stop push-ups every week. These results persisted throughout the six-month study period, and access to the game-based motivational web experience was the crucial differentiator.
- Significant increases in physical activity were seen across a number of groups at risk for sedentary behavior, including an average 27 percent increase among overweight participants and an average 103 percent increase among girls.
- Study results also showed the program had a positive effect on key biological factors associated with diseases linked to sedentary behavior. Participants experienced reduced gains in LDL or "bad" cholesterol, a risk factor for heart disease, and also showed improved blood sugar control, a risk factor for Type 2 diabetes
- The game-like Zamzee experience incorporates the avatar engine from Bunchball's Nitro platform. The Nitro platform works by using motivational techniques -- like goal-setting, real-time feedback, competition, virtual rewards, and leveling up -- to keep users participating, progressing and achieving.
- Despite its reliance on game mechanics, gamification is anything but child's play. Bunchball's comprehensive suite of innovative cloud-based gamification solutions empowers companies of all sizes -- from start-ups to some of the world's largest enterprises -- to engage and motivate, leading to improved employee productivity, customer loyalty, audience engagement, and ROI.
Bunchball at 2013 SXSW Gaming Expo:
Bunchball is demonstrating Nitro March 8-10 at the SXSW Gaming Expo, part of the 2013 SXSW Interactive Festival in Austin, Tex. In Booth #247 and 249 at the Palmer Events Center, Bunchball will show how a wide range of organizations, from toy manufacturers and entertainment producers to banks and cellular service carriers, rely on the same fundamental mechanics that cause people to enjoy playing games also can be used to shape behaviors and motivate people to do more, know more, collaborate more and share more.
Attributable to Rajat Paharia, Founder and Chief Product Officer, Bunchball
"In an age when kids spend so much of their day playing sedentary video games on consoles and smartphones, Zamzee shows that the dynamics of game play have the potential to move people in ways that can make their lives better. And across a six-month research study, the real power of gamification emerges in startling detail: we see that kids who regularly visit Zamzee's Bunchball-powered site engage in an extra 45 minutes of physical activity each week, on average. Bunchball is delighted to help provide the gamification engine for this remarkable and important social enterprise."
Attributable to Lance Henderson, CEO, Zamzee
"The Zamzee program and the research behind it is a strong testament to the power of gamification. Kids stay motivated with Zamzee because the program delivers a fun, rewarding experience around physical activity. Bunchball has been a great partner to us in this work."
Bunchball is the market leader and visionary in gamification. Bunchball enables organizations to improve business performance throughout their ecosystem by creating highly active and loyal customers, employees, and partners. Bunchball's comprehensive suite of innovative cloud-based solutions empowers companies to engage and motivate, leading to improved employee productivity, customer loyalty, audience engagement, and ROI. Bunchball's world-class customers include Adobe, HP, Cisco, MTV, Comcast, LiveOps, VMware, and Hasbro. Based in Silicon Valley, Bunchball's investors include Granite Ventures, Triangle Peak Partners, Northport Investments, and Correlation Ventures. For more information, visit www.bunchball.com, our blog at www.gamification.com, or follow @bunchball.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2251380
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2251382
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2251384
Email: [email protected]
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 29, 2017 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,211
SYS-CON Events announced today that Technologic Systems Inc., an embedded systems solutions company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Technologic Systems is an embedded systems company with headquarters in Fountain Hills, Arizona. They have been in business for 32 years, helping more than 8,000 OEM customers and building over a hundred COTS products that have never been discontinued. Technologic Systems’ pr...
Mar. 29, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,804
SYS-CON Events announced today that Auditwerx will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Auditwerx specializes in SOC 1, SOC 2, and SOC 3 attestation services throughout the U.S. and Canada. As a division of Carr, Riggs & Ingram (CRI), one of the top 20 largest CPA firms nationally, you can expect the resources, skills, and experience of a much larger firm combined with the accessibility and attent...
Mar. 29, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 672
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 29, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,272
SYS-CON Events announced today that HTBase will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. HTBase (Gartner 2016 Cool Vendor) delivers a Composable IT infrastructure solution architected for agility and increased efficiency. It turns compute, storage, and fabric into fluid pools of resources that are easily composed and re-composed to meet each application’s needs. With HTBase, companies can quickly prov...
Mar. 29, 2017 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,252
SYS-CON Events announced today that Loom Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Founded in 2015, Loom Systems delivers an advanced AI solution to predict and prevent problems in the digital business. Loom stands alone in the industry as an AI analysis platform requiring no prior math knowledge from operators, leveraging the existing staff to succeed in the digital era. With offices in S...
Mar. 29, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,746
Buzzword alert: Microservices and IoT at a DevOps conference? What could possibly go wrong? In this Power Panel at DevOps Summit, moderated by Jason Bloomberg, the leading expert on architecting agility for the enterprise and president of Intellyx, panelists peeled away the buzz and discuss the important architectural principles behind implementing IoT solutions for the enterprise. As remote IoT devices and sensors become increasingly intelligent, they become part of our distributed cloud enviro...
Mar. 29, 2017 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 7,898
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Mar. 29, 2017 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,574
SYS-CON Events announced today that Infranics will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Since 2000, Infranics has developed SysMaster Suite, which is required for the stable and efficient management of ICT infrastructure. The ICT management solution developed and provided by Infranics continues to add intelligence to the ICT infrastructure through the IMC (Infra Management Cycle) based on mathemat...
Mar. 29, 2017 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,439
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Mar. 29, 2017 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,731
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudistics, an on-premises cloud computing company, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudistics delivers a complete public cloud experience with composable on-premises infrastructures to medium and large enterprises. Its software-defined technology natively converges network, storage, compute, virtualization, and management into a ...
Mar. 29, 2017 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,342
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Lachapelle, CEO of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), will provide an overview of various initiatives to certifiy the security of connected devices and future trends in ensuring public trust of IoT. Eric Lachapelle is the Chief Executive Officer of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), an international certification body. His role is to help companies and individuals to achieve professional, accredited and worldw...
Mar. 29, 2017 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 946
In his General Session at 16th Cloud Expo, David Shacochis, host of The Hybrid IT Files podcast and Vice President at CenturyLink, investigated three key trends of the “gigabit economy" though the story of a Fortune 500 communications company in transformation. Narrating how multi-modal hybrid IT, service automation, and agile delivery all intersect, he will cover the role of storytelling and empathy in achieving strategic alignment between the enterprise and its information technology.
Mar. 29, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 7,555
Microservices are a very exciting architectural approach that many organizations are looking to as a way to accelerate innovation. Microservices promise to allow teams to move away from monolithic "ball of mud" systems, but the reality is that, in the vast majority of organizations, different projects and technologies will continue to be developed at different speeds. How to handle the dependencies between these disparate systems with different iteration cycles? Consider the "canoncial problem" ...
Mar. 29, 2017 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 9,076
The Internet of Things is clearly many things: data collection and analytics, wearables, Smart Grids and Smart Cities, the Industrial Internet, and more. Cool platforms like Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Intel's Galileo and Edison, and a diverse world of sensors are making the IoT a great toy box for developers in all these areas. In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists discussed what things are the most important, which will have the most profound e...
Mar. 29, 2017 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 15,127
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor - all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Mar. 29, 2017 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,177
My team embarked on building a data lake for our sales and marketing data to better understand customer journeys. This required building a hybrid data pipeline to connect our cloud CRM with the new Hadoop Data Lake. One challenge is that IT was not in a position to provide support until we proved value and marketing did not have the experience, so we embarked on the journey ourselves within the product marketing team for our line of business within Progress. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Sum...
Mar. 29, 2017 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,265
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Mar. 29, 2017 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 6,104
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Mar. 29, 2017 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,542
What sort of WebRTC based applications can we expect to see over the next year and beyond? One way to predict development trends is to see what sorts of applications startups are building. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Arin Sime, founder of WebRTC.ventures, will discuss the current and likely future trends in WebRTC application development based on real requests for custom applications from real customers, as well as other public sources of information,
Mar. 29, 2017 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,145