|By Marketwired .||
|March 8, 2013 10:00 AM EST||
AUSTIN, TX -- (Marketwire) -- 03/08/13 -- 2013 SXSW GAMING EXPO --
Core News Facts:
- In the quest to keep kids active, parents have found a powerful new ally in Zamzee, a fast-growing social enterprise on a mission to help kids and their families make physical activity a fun part of daily life. Zamzee combines the fun of games and the science of motivation to boost kids' physical activity levels -- and it's succeeding with help from Bunchball, the pioneer and market leader in gamification.
- Zamzee is an activity meter and motivational website meant to increase physical activity levels and, in doing so, help fight the sedentary behavior epidemic in the U.S., a key risk factor associated with obesity, heart disease and diabetes.
- Zamzee's gamified website allows kids to view their activity levels, earn Pointz for movement, take challenges and achieve goals.
- Worn on a belt or carried in a pocket, the Zamzee activity meter monitors kids' physical activity throughout the day. Users regularly plug their devices into their computers and upload recorded physical activity data into their online personal profile. The profile is a key part of the motivational, game-based website, designed to initiate and sustain behavioral change based on scientific principles.
- On zamzee.com, kids can climb the leaderboard and compete with friends, take on challenges through storybook-style adventures, and take actions that earn them double, triple or even quadruple Pointz.
- Bunchball's acclaimed Nitro platform and its avatar engine are key parts of the zamzee.com motivational experience, allowing users to personalize their profile in a way that's safe and compliant with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act.
- A study of Zamzee sponsored by HopeLab and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation spotlights the motivational power of gamification. The study enrolled 448 middle school-aged adolescents randomly assigned to two groups: Those that used the Zamzee activity meter and also received access to the motivational website, and those that received a Zamzee meter but had no access to the site.
- The study found that the kids with access to the gamified website showed an average 59 percent increase in moderate-to-vigorous physical activity over those who were only given the meter -- the equivalent of doing an extra 45 minutes of non-stop push-ups every week. These results persisted throughout the six-month study period, and access to the game-based motivational web experience was the crucial differentiator.
- Significant increases in physical activity were seen across a number of groups at risk for sedentary behavior, including an average 27 percent increase among overweight participants and an average 103 percent increase among girls.
- Study results also showed the program had a positive effect on key biological factors associated with diseases linked to sedentary behavior. Participants experienced reduced gains in LDL or "bad" cholesterol, a risk factor for heart disease, and also showed improved blood sugar control, a risk factor for Type 2 diabetes
- The game-like Zamzee experience incorporates the avatar engine from Bunchball's Nitro platform. The Nitro platform works by using motivational techniques -- like goal-setting, real-time feedback, competition, virtual rewards, and leveling up -- to keep users participating, progressing and achieving.
- Despite its reliance on game mechanics, gamification is anything but child's play. Bunchball's comprehensive suite of innovative cloud-based gamification solutions empowers companies of all sizes -- from start-ups to some of the world's largest enterprises -- to engage and motivate, leading to improved employee productivity, customer loyalty, audience engagement, and ROI.
Bunchball at 2013 SXSW Gaming Expo:
Bunchball is demonstrating Nitro March 8-10 at the SXSW Gaming Expo, part of the 2013 SXSW Interactive Festival in Austin, Tex. In Booth #247 and 249 at the Palmer Events Center, Bunchball will show how a wide range of organizations, from toy manufacturers and entertainment producers to banks and cellular service carriers, rely on the same fundamental mechanics that cause people to enjoy playing games also can be used to shape behaviors and motivate people to do more, know more, collaborate more and share more.
Attributable to Rajat Paharia, Founder and Chief Product Officer, Bunchball
"In an age when kids spend so much of their day playing sedentary video games on consoles and smartphones, Zamzee shows that the dynamics of game play have the potential to move people in ways that can make their lives better. And across a six-month research study, the real power of gamification emerges in startling detail: we see that kids who regularly visit Zamzee's Bunchball-powered site engage in an extra 45 minutes of physical activity each week, on average. Bunchball is delighted to help provide the gamification engine for this remarkable and important social enterprise."
Attributable to Lance Henderson, CEO, Zamzee
"The Zamzee program and the research behind it is a strong testament to the power of gamification. Kids stay motivated with Zamzee because the program delivers a fun, rewarding experience around physical activity. Bunchball has been a great partner to us in this work."
Bunchball is the market leader and visionary in gamification. Bunchball enables organizations to improve business performance throughout their ecosystem by creating highly active and loyal customers, employees, and partners. Bunchball's comprehensive suite of innovative cloud-based solutions empowers companies to engage and motivate, leading to improved employee productivity, customer loyalty, audience engagement, and ROI. Bunchball's world-class customers include Adobe, HP, Cisco, MTV, Comcast, LiveOps, VMware, and Hasbro. Based in Silicon Valley, Bunchball's investors include Granite Ventures, Triangle Peak Partners, Northport Investments, and Correlation Ventures. For more information, visit www.bunchball.com, our blog at www.gamification.com, or follow @bunchball.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2251380
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2251382
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2251384
Email: [email protected]
WebRTC has had a real tough three or four years, and so have those working with it. Only a few short years ago, the development world were excited about WebRTC and proclaiming how awesome it was. You might have played with the technology a couple of years ago, only to find the extra infrastructure requirements were painful to implement and poorly documented. This probably left a bitter taste in your mouth, especially when things went wrong.
Sep. 2, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 474
Akana has announced the availability of the new Akana Healthcare Solution. The API-driven solution helps healthcare organizations accelerate their transition to being secure, digitally interoperable businesses. It leverages the Health Level Seven International Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (HL7 FHIR) standard to enable broader business use of medical data. Akana developed the Healthcare Solution in response to healthcare businesses that want to increase electronic, multi-device access to health records while reducing operating costs and complying with government regulations.
Sep. 2, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 220
SYS-CON Events announced today that the "Second Containers & Microservices Expo" will take place November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities.
Sep. 2, 2015 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 599
Through WebRTC, audio and video communications are being embedded more easily than ever into applications, helping carriers, enterprises and independent software vendors deliver greater functionality to their end users. With today’s business world increasingly focused on outcomes, users’ growing calls for ease of use, and businesses craving smarter, tighter integration, what’s the next step in delivering a richer, more immersive experience? That richer, more fully integrated experience comes about through a Communications Platform as a Service which allows for messaging, screen sharing, video...
Sep. 2, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 694
Too often with compelling new technologies market participants become overly enamored with that attractiveness of the technology and neglect underlying business drivers. This tendency, what some call the “newest shiny object syndrome,” is understandable given that virtually all of us are heavily engaged in technology. But it is also mistaken. Without concrete business cases driving its deployment, IoT, like many other technologies before it, will fade into obscurity.
Sep. 1, 2015 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 396
SYS-CON Events announced today that IceWarp will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. IceWarp, the leader of cloud and on-premise messaging, delivers secured email, chat, documents, conferencing and collaboration to today's mobile workforce, all in one unified interface
Sep. 1, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 444
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lee Williams, a producer of the first smartphones and tablets, will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ETwater. He will explain how M2M controllers work through wirelessly connected remote controls; and specifically delve into a retrofit option that reverse-engineers control codes of existing conventional controller systems so they don't have to be replaced and are instantly converted to become smart, connected devices.
Sep. 1, 2015 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 169
The Internet of Things is in the early stages of mainstream deployment but it promises to unlock value and rapidly transform how organizations manage, operationalize, and monetize their assets. IoT is a complex structure of hardware, sensors, applications, analytics and devices that need to be able to communicate geographically and across all functions. Once the data is collected from numerous endpoints, the challenge then becomes converting it into actionable insight.
Sep. 1, 2015 01:00 PM EDT
With the proliferation of connected devices underpinning new Internet of Things systems, Brandon Schulz, Director of Luxoft IoT – Retail, will be looking at the transformation of the retail customer experience in brick and mortar stores in his session at @ThingsExpo. Questions he will address include: Will beacons drop to the wayside like QR codes, or be a proximity-based profit driver? How will the customer experience change in stores of all types when everything can be instrumented and analyzed? As an area of investment, how might a retail company move towards an innovation methodolo...
Sep. 1, 2015 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 482
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Sep. 1, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 922
Consumer IoT applications provide data about the user that just doesn’t exist in traditional PC or mobile web applications. This rich data, or “context,” enables the highly personalized consumer experiences that characterize many consumer IoT apps. This same data is also providing brands with unprecedented insight into how their connected products are being used, while, at the same time, powering highly targeted engagement and marketing opportunities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nathan Treloar, President and COO of Bebaio, will explore examples of brands transforming their businesses by t...
Sep. 1, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 251
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies leverage disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advanced analytics, and DevOps to advance innovation and increase agility. Specializing in designing, imple...
Sep. 1, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 330
As more and more data is generated from a variety of connected devices, the need to get insights from this data and predict future behavior and trends is increasingly essential for businesses. Real-time stream processing is needed in a variety of different industries such as Manufacturing, Oil and Gas, Automobile, Finance, Online Retail, Smart Grids, and Healthcare. Azure Stream Analytics is a fully managed distributed stream computation service that provides low latency, scalable processing of streaming data in the cloud with an enterprise grade SLA. It features built-in integration with Azur...
Sep. 1, 2015 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 298
SYS-CON Events announced today that Micron Technology, Inc., a global leader in advanced semiconductor systems, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Micron’s broad portfolio of high-performance memory technologies – including DRAM, NAND and NOR Flash – is the basis for solid state drives, modules, multichip packages and other system solutions. Backed by more than 35 years of technology leadership, Micron's memory solutions enable the world's most innovative computing, consumer,...
Sep. 1, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 246
Contrary to mainstream media attention, the multiple possibilities of how consumer IoT will transform our everyday lives aren’t the only angle of this headline-gaining trend. There’s a huge opportunity for “industrial IoT” and “Smart Cities” to impact the world in the same capacity – especially during critical situations. For example, a community water dam that needs to release water can leverage embedded critical communications logic to alert the appropriate individuals, on the right device, as soon as they are needed to take action.
Sep. 1, 2015 09:00 AM EDT
SYS-CON Events announced today the Containers & Microservices Bootcamp, being held November 3-4, 2015, in conjunction with 17th Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, and @DevOpsSummit at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This is your chance to get started with the latest technology in the industry. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Containers and Microservices Bootcamp, led by Janakiram MSV, a Microsoft Regional Director, will include presentations as well as hands-on demos and comprehensive walkthroughs.
Sep. 1, 2015 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 367
While many app developers are comfortable building apps for the smartphone, there is a whole new world out there. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Narayan Sainaney, Co-founder and CTO of Mojio, will discuss how the business case for connected car apps is growing and, with open platform companies having already done the heavy lifting, there really is no barrier to entry.
Sep. 1, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 182
With the Apple Watch making its way onto wrists all over the world, it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a staple in the workplace. In fact, Forrester reported that 68 percent of technology and business decision-makers characterize wearables as a top priority for 2015. Recognizing their business value early on, FinancialForce.com was the first to bring ERP to wearables, helping streamline communication across front and back office functions. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kevin Roberts, GM of Platform at FinancialForce.com, will discuss the value of business applications on wearable ...
Sep. 1, 2015 08:00 AM EDT
As more intelligent IoT applications shift into gear, they’re merging into the ever-increasing traffic flow of the Internet. It won’t be long before we experience bottlenecks, as IoT traffic peaks during rush hours. Organizations that are unprepared will find themselves by the side of the road unable to cross back into the fast lane. As billions of new devices begin to communicate and exchange data – will your infrastructure be scalable enough to handle this new interconnected world?
Sep. 1, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 171
The Internet of Things (IoT) is about the digitization of physical assets including sensors, devices, machines, gateways, and the network. It creates possibilities for significant value creation and new revenue generating business models via data democratization and ubiquitous analytics across IoT networks. The explosion of data in all forms in IoT requires a more robust and broader lens in order to enable smarter timely actions and better outcomes. Business operations become the key driver of IoT applications and projects. Business operations, IT, and data scientists need advanced analytics t...
Aug. 31, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 435