|By Business Wire||
|November 12, 2012 05:01 PM EST||
Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., a market leader and award-winning innovator in consumer electronics, semiconductors and telecommunications, today announced that it won 27 prestigious International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2013 Innovations Awards. CES, the world’s largest consumer technology tradeshow held by the Consumer Electronics Association® (CEA) every year, has honored Samsung with 117 awards in the past four years.
Among the 27 CES awards for 2013, Samsung was recognized with two Best of Innovations awards and four Eco-Design honors. Products entered in the CES Innovations program are judged by a preeminent panel of independent industrial designers, engineers, and members of the media to honor outstanding design and engineering in cutting-edge consumer electronics products across 29 categories.
“Samsung continues to create superior industry-leading products, content and services,” said Y.K. Kim, president and CEO, Samsung Electronics America, Inc. “We are honored that CEA and the industry have recognized this commitment, and we look forward to demonstrating our latest product innovations at the 2013 International CES.”
Samsung Electronics’ award-winners include products in the TV, home theater system, mobile phone, tablet, home appliance, server, software, and computer component categories. All of Samsung's award-winning products will be on display during the 2013 International CES, which runs January 8-11, 2013, in Samsung booth #12004 in the Central Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center. Honorees will also be displayed at CES Unveiled: The Official Press Event of the International CES from 4-7 p.m. on Sunday, January 6 in the South Seas Ballroom C at Mandalay Bay.
Many of the winning products will be first unveiled at Samsung’s CES press conference, scheduled for 2 p.m. on Monday January 7, 2013. The following are additional details for some of the award recipients:
Samsung received two Best of Innovation Awards for its 85-inch UHD TV and Samsung Smart TV Camera.
- Samsung’s 85-inch UHD TV, the world’s largest commercialized UHD LED TV, boasts life-like picture quality in ultra HD resolution with over 8 million pixels, four times the resolution of Full HD displays. Samsung’s UHD TV uses an innovative enhanced dimming technology and a very high contrast ratio to deliver deep, real blacks and pure whites for greater detail and unmatched picture clarity. This new, cutting-edge TV also offers a powerful and dynamic range of sounds.
- Samsung Smart TV Camera supports full HD resolution and enables Smart Interaction features such as Gesture Control and Face Recognition when it is attached to Smart TVs without built-in cameras.
- Samsung’s 2013 Smart LED TV 7500 and 8000 Series, as well as its OLED TV were recognized as 2013 Design and Engineering Award honorees.
- The Samsung EX2F SMART Compact Camera packs enough punch to impress even the most discerning shutterbugs, with premium image quality and performance, full manual control in a strong yet lightweight magnesium body, and robust wireless connectivity
- The Samsung Induction Range with Flex Cookzone makes cooking easier with a flexible cooking surface which accommodates pots or griddles that would not fit on a standard-sized heating surface. It also features a boil sensor which helps eliminate boil-overs by alerting the user or automatically reducing heat to a pre-set level.
- The Samsung Galaxy S III is the third generation of Samsung’s iconic and highly successful Galaxy S line of smartphones.
- The Samsung Galaxy Note™ II revitalizes the large screen smartphone category with a redesigned S Pen, 5.5-inch display, and quad-core Exynos processor for enhanced performance, productivity, and power.
- The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 redefines the tablet experience by offering content creation capabilities with its S-pen, true multitasking with the unique multi-screen capability, and unparalleled performance with a 1.4 Ghz quad-core processor.
- Samsung’s TecTiles™ programmable NFC stickers and the TecTiles™ programming mobile application work together to help consumers integrate NFC technology into their daily lives.
- The Samsung Series 9 Premium Ultrabook combines power and speed with a stunning display and sophisticated design into an unparalleled and amazingly lightweight device.
- The Samsung CLP-365W Laser Color Printer is perfect for personal or small-business use with amazing color and wireless capabilities in a compact ergonomic design.
- The Samsung NL22B LCD Transparent Display is the ultimate retail product showcase with a 22-inch LCD transparent display case in a single, powerful package.
- Samsung’s 2GB LPDDR3 Mobile DRAM Chip is an extremely fast performing memory solution for high-end smartphones, tablets, and other mobile applications. With a data transfer speed of up to 1600 Mbps, it provides optimal overall system performance to mobile device users including supporting full HD video content in real-time.
- Samsung’s 64GB MicroSD Memory Card is designed to meet the security, capacity, performance and environmental requirements of leading-edge audio and video consumer devices. The memory card can record up to 96 hours of HD video, store up to 60,000 photos in a single session and provide up to 50,000 hours of music. Samsung’s 64GB microSD card generates the highest random speeds in the industry (1,800 random read inputs/outputs per second and 500 random write IOPS).
- The Samsung Exynos 5 Dual is the world’s first ARM Cortex A-15 Dual Core application processor. Using 32nm HKMG (High-K Metal Gate) process technology, the 1.7 GHz dual core Exynos 5 Dual brings unmatched performance to leading mobile devices while maintaining low power consumption. Consumers using mobile products with the Exynos 5 Dual will enjoy super fast devices with a beautiful high resolution WQXGA user interface.
As part of Samsung’s PlanetFirst™ initiative, a commitment to become one of the world’s most environmentally friendly companies by 2013, Samsung has a dedicated goal to develop environmentally friendly products and building green manufacturing sites. In its latest effort to support that commitment Samsung received four Eco-Design awards which include:
- The Samsung Green DDR3 64GB LRDIMM - a highly advanced memory module designed for server systems used to support the infrastructure of a wide variety of server applications. It delivers the highest memory performance available today for servers (1333 Mbps) and at its highest density enables extremely high capacity (3TB) memory configurations for four-way server systems. Operating with a voltage of 1.35V, according to Samsung tests it provides an average 70% power savings (per unit density) over a 50nm class equivalent, 1.5V DDR3-based RDIMM.
About the CES 2013 Innovation Awards
Sponsored by the CEA, the prestigious Innovations Design and Engineering Awards have been recognizing achievements in product design and engineering since 1976. The CES Innovation entries are judged based on the following criteria:
- Engineering qualities, based on technical specs and materials used
- Aesthetic and design qualities, using photos provided
- The product’s intended use/function and user value
- Unique/novel features that consumers would find attractive
- How the design and innovation of the product compares to other products in the marketplace
Products chosen as Innovations Honorees reflect innovative design and engineering of the entries. Examples may include the first time various technologies are combined in a single product or dramatic enhancements to previous product designs.
Innovations 2013 Design and Engineering honoree products are featured on http://cesweb.org/Awards/CES-Innovations-Awards.aspx, which lists product categories, as well as each product name, manufacturer information, designer, description, photo and URL.
About Samsung Electronics North America
Samsung Electronics North America (NAHQ), based in Ridgefield Park, NJ, is an arm of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. The company markets a broad range of award-winning consumer electronics, information systems, and home appliance products, as well as oversees all of Samsung’s North American brand management including Samsung Electronics America, Inc., Samsung Telecommunications America, LP, Samsung Electronics Canada, Inc., and Samsung Electronics Mexico, Inc. As a result of its commitment to innovation and unique design, Samsung is one of the most decorated brands in the electronics industry. The company was ranked #9 in Interbrand’s “Best Global Brands” report and named as one of Fast Company’s “Top 10” Consumer Electronics Companies of 2012. For more information, please visit www.samsung.com. You can also Fan Samsung onwww.facebook.com/SamsungUSA or follow Samsung via Twitter @SamsungTweets.
About Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. is a global leader in semiconductor, telecommunication, digital media and digital convergence technologies with 2010 consolidated sales of US$135.8 billion. Employing approximately 190,500 people in 206 offices across 68 countries, the company consists of nine independently operated business units: Visual Display, Mobile Communications, Telecommunication Systems, Digital Appliances, IT Solutions, Digital Imaging, Memory, System LSI and LCD. Recognized as one of the fastest growing global brands, Samsung Electronics is a leading producer of digital TVs, semiconductor chips, mobile phones and TFT-LCDs. For more information, please visit www.samsung.com.
The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) unites 2,200 companies within the consumer technology industry. Members tap into valuable and innovative members-only resources: unparalleled market research, networking opportunities with business advocates and leaders, up-to-date educational programs and technical training, exposure in extensive promotional programs, and representation from the voice of the industry, CEA, promoting and advancing member needs and interests. Find CEA online at www.CE.org.
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Chief Architect for the Internet of Things and Intelligent Systems at Red Hat, described how to revolutioniz...
May. 22, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,583
For IoT to grow as quickly as analyst firms’ project, a lot is going to fall on developers to quickly bring applications to market. But the lack of a standard development platform threatens to slow growth and make application development more time consuming and costly, much like we’ve seen in the mobile space. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Weiner is Product Manager of the Omega DevCloud with KORE Telematics Inc., will discuss the evolving requirements for developers as IoT matures and conduct a live demonstration of how quickly application development can happen when the need to comply...
May. 22, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,712
Container frameworks, such as Docker, provide a variety of benefits, including density of deployment across infrastructure, convenience for application developers to push updates with low operational hand-holding, and a fairly well-defined deployment workflow that can be orchestrated. Container frameworks also enable a DevOps approach to application development by cleanly separating concerns between operations and development teams. But running multi-container, multi-server apps with containers is very hard. You have to learn five new and different technologies and best practices (libswarm, sy...
May. 22, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,933
SYS-CON Events announced today that DragonGlass, an enterprise search platform, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. After eleven years of designing and building custom applications, OpenCrowd has launched DragonGlass, a cloud-based platform that enables the development of search-based applications. These are a new breed of applications that utilize a search index as their backbone for data retrieval. They can easily adapt to new data sets and provide access to both structured and unstruc...
May. 22, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,741
Converging digital disruptions is creating a major sea change - Cisco calls this the Internet of Everything (IoE). IoE is the network connection of People, Process, Data and Things, fueled by Cloud, Mobile, Social, Analytics and Security, and it represents a $19Trillion value-at-stake over the next 10 years. In her keynote at @ThingsExpo, Manjula Talreja, VP of Cisco Consulting Services, will discuss IoE and the enormous opportunities it provides to public and private firms alike. She will share what businesses must do to thrive in the IoE economy, citing examples from several industry sector...
May. 22, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,982
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo in Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal an...
May. 22, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,521
The security devil is always in the details of the attack: the ones you've endured, the ones you prepare yourself to fend off, and the ones that, you fear, will catch you completely unaware and defenseless. The Internet of Things (IoT) is nothing if not an endless proliferation of details. It's the vision of a world in which continuous Internet connectivity and addressability is embedded into a growing range of human artifacts, into the natural world, and even into our smartphones, appliances, and physical persons. In the IoT vision, every new "thing" - sensor, actuator, data source, data con...
May. 22, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 6,200
There's Big Data, then there's really Big Data from the Internet of Things. IoT is evolving to include many data possibilities like new types of event, log and network data. The volumes are enormous, generating tens of billions of logs per day, which raise data challenges. Early IoT deployments are relying heavily on both the cloud and managed service providers to navigate these challenges. In her session at Big Data Expo®, Hannah Smalltree, Director at Treasure Data, discussed how IoT, Big Data and deployments are processing massive data volumes from wearables, utilities and other machines...
May. 22, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,932
SYS-CON Events announced today that the "First Containers & Microservices Conference" will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City. The “Second Containers & Microservices Conference” will take place November 3-5, 2015, at Santa Clara Convention Center, Santa Clara, CA. Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities.
May. 22, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,029
Buzzword alert: Microservices and IoT at a DevOps conference? What could possibly go wrong? In this Power Panel at DevOps Summit, moderated by Jason Bloomberg, the leading expert on architecting agility for the enterprise and president of Intellyx, panelists will peel away the buzz and discuss the important architectural principles behind implementing IoT solutions for the enterprise. As remote IoT devices and sensors become increasingly intelligent, they become part of our distributed cloud environment, and we must architect and code accordingly. At the very least, you'll have no problem fil...
May. 22, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,831
IoT is still a vague buzzword for many people. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Kavis, Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Partners, discussed the business value of IoT that goes far beyond the general public's perception that IoT is all about wearables and home consumer services. He also discussed how IoT is perceived by investors and how venture capitalist access this space. Other topics discussed were barriers to success, what is new, what is old, and what the future may hold. Mike Kavis is Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Pa...
May. 22, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 7,721
Disruptive macro trends in technology are impacting and dramatically changing the "art of the possible" relative to supply chain management practices through the innovative use of IoT, cloud, machine learning and Big Data to enable connected ecosystems of engagement. Enterprise informatics can now move beyond point solutions that merely monitor the past and implement integrated enterprise fabrics that enable end-to-end supply chain visibility to improve customer service delivery and optimize supplier management. Learn about enterprise architecture strategies for designing connected systems tha...
May. 22, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,857
SYS-CON Events announced today that MetraTech, now part of Ericsson, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Ericsson is the driving force behind the Networked Society- a world leader in communications infrastructure, software and services. Some 40% of the world’s mobile traffic runs through networks Ericsson has supplied, serving more than 2.5 billion subscribers.
May. 22, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,320
The 4th International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 17th International Cloud Expo - to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - announces that its Call for Papers is open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
May. 22, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,514
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal today!
May. 22, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,194
Since 2008 and for the first time in history, more than half of humans live in urban areas, urging cities to become “smart.” Today, cities can leverage the wide availability of smartphones combined with new technologies such as Beacons or NFC to connect their urban furniture and environment to create citizen-first services that improve transportation, way-finding and information delivery. In her session at @ThingsExpo, Laetitia Gazel-Anthoine, CEO of Connecthings, will focus on successful use cases.
May. 22, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,846
The explosion of connected devices / sensors is creating an ever-expanding set of new and valuable data. In parallel the emerging capability of Big Data technologies to store, access, analyze, and react to this data is producing changes in business models under the umbrella of the Internet of Things (IoT). In particular within the Insurance industry, IoT appears positioned to enable deep changes by altering relationships between insurers, distributors, and the insured. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Sick, a Senior Manager and Big Data Architect within Ernst and Young's Financial Servi...
May. 22, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,714
The recent trends like cloud computing, social, mobile and Internet of Things are forcing enterprises to modernize in order to compete in the competitive globalized markets. However, enterprises are approaching newer technologies with a more silo-ed way, gaining only sub optimal benefits. The Modern Enterprise model is presented as a newer way to think of enterprise IT, which takes a more holistic approach to embracing modern technologies.
May. 22, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,954
One of the biggest impacts of the Internet of Things is and will continue to be on data; specifically data volume, management and usage. Companies are scrambling to adapt to this new and unpredictable data reality with legacy infrastructure that cannot handle the speed and volume of data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Don DeLoach, CEO and president of Infobright, will discuss how companies need to rethink their data infrastructure to participate in the IoT, including: Data storage: Understanding the kinds of data: structured, unstructured, big/small? Analytics: What kinds and how responsiv...
May. 22, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,391
17th Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises are using some form of XaaS – software, platform, and infrastructure as a service.
May. 22, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,331