|By PR Newswire||
|November 8, 2012 12:01 AM EST||
WAYNE, Mich., Nov. 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- C-MAX Energi is fifth major advanced technology, fuel-efficient vehicle to be produced at the transformed Michigan Assembly Plant (MAP) – the world's only plant to build gasoline-powered, electric, hybrid and plug-in hybrid vehicles all on the same production line and the only one to produce four vehicles delivering 40 mpg or more
- After launching the new Escape, Fusion and C-MAX hybrids, Ford now beats Toyota in fuel economy in every segment where both compete
- The C-Max Energi is America's most fuel-efficient and affordable plug-in hybrid vehicle, delivering 108 MPGe city and "real car" horsepower of 195, eclipsing the Prius plug-in by more than 60 horsepower
- MAP's five fuel economy leaders, coupled with the all-new Fusion Hybrid and Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid and the nearly half a million EcoBoost-powered vehicles sold globally, cements Ford's fuel economy leadership position in 2013
Ford's Michigan Assembly Plant is making history with each new C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid that rolls off the line. It is the only manufacturing site in the world to build vehicles with five different fuel-efficient powertrains on the same line and the only one to build four vehicles that deliver 40 mpg or more in real-world driving.
Ford is committed to deliver eight vehicles for U.S. customers by year-end that deliver 40 mpg or more – a claim no other full-line automaker can match. MAP builds half of those – C-MAX Energi, C-MAX Hybrid, Focus Electric and Focus SE with SFE – helping Ford complete a lineup that now beats Toyota in fuel economy in every segment where they both compete
"Michigan Assembly Plant is setting a new global standard for flexible manufacturing, and is a central part of Ford's important milestone, sweeping Toyota across the board for fuel economy leadership," said Jim Tetreault, Ford vice president of North America Manufacturing. "The transformation of this plant is proof of how our One Ford plan has transformed our products, giving our customers industry-leading choices for hybrids, plug-ins, electrics and EcoBoost-powered vehicles."
Converted from a plant that produced two full-size SUVs, MAP is now the only factory in the world to build gasoline-powered, electric, hybrid and plug-in hybrid vehicles on the same production line. MAP produces the following vehicles that offer Ford customers a range of fuel-efficient options versus Toyota and other competitors:
- C-MAX Energi – America's most fuel-efficient and affordable plug-in hybrid vehicle – is on its way to Ford EV-certified dealers in half the states across the country. As Ford's first production plug-in hybrid, C-MAX Energi provides customers with an all-new electrified vehicle offering that delivers a class-leading 108 MPGe city EPA rating, "real car" horsepower of 195 (versus Prius plug-in's 134 horsepower) and a leading EV-only speed of 85 mph, 20 mph above the Prius plug-in.
- C-MAX Hybrid – The country's most fuel-efficient and affordable hybrid utility vehicle is now the best-selling hybrid utility vehicle after outselling Toyota Prius v, 3,182 units to 2,769 units, in just its first full month of sales in October. C-MAX Hybrid delivers EPA-certified 47 mpg city, 47 mpg highway ratings – 7 mpg better than the Toyota Prius v on the highway – for a 47 mpg combined rating – plus more performance and technology.
- Focus Electric – Officially America's most fuel-efficient five-passenger car, with a certified 110 miles per gallon equivalent (MPGe) city rating and 99 MPGe on the highway. Focus Electric, a zero-emission battery electric vehicle, also has been certified by the EPA to offer 105 MPGe combined, beating Nissan Leaf by 6 MPGe while offering more motor power and more standard features.
- The Focus ST – Its new 2.0-liter EcoBoost® four-cylinder engine is certified at 32 mpg highway – better than its manual-equipped competition in the Volkswagen GTI and MazdaSpeed3.
- Focus with the SFE (Super Fuel Economy) package – This sleek small car delivers an EPA-certified 40 mpg on the highway and 28 mpg city through its advanced six-speed automatic transmission.
Four years ago, Ford's Manufacturing and Product Development teams began working together to develop product platform designs that enable the use of programmable equipment to produce multiple variations of products in one facility. Today, more than 80 percent of the tooling in the plant's body shop can be programmed to weld a variety of body styles. This allows Ford to quickly adjust the mix between models as customer preferences change.
In the final assembly area, Ford Manufacturing engineers collaborated closely with UAW representatives to design job stations that can be adapted to different kinds of work content, depending on the vehicle. For example, even though C-MAX vehicles have 1,074 separate parts from the Focus, both vehicles travel through nearly all of the same 604 workstations in the trim and chassis areas.
Several workstations play key roles in the plant's ability to build both electrified and gasoline-powered cars.
- In chassis, workers at one station have plastic fuel tanks on one side of the line and electric chargers on the other. Depending on the build sequence, they install either a charger in a Focus BEV, or a fuel tank in a C-MAX or gasoline-powered Focus.
- Several stops further down the chassis line, other workers attach either battery packs or exhaust systems, depending on the vehicle.
- In the trim area, multiple stations have been reconfigured so that a team of workers has a longer time window to do the complicated functions of installing a high-voltage wire and battery into C-MAX or Focus BEV, while being given quicker tasks to perform when gasoline-powered Focus cars come down the line.
In addition to the $550 million that Ford invested to convert MAP into a flexible factory, the company added a third crew of 1,200 workers in May, bringing total employment to 5,170 workers.
Fuel Economy Details
The Ford fuel economy leaders are:
Cars and Electrified Vehicles
- C-MAX Hybrid at 47 mpg combined beats Prius v by 7 mpg in the compact hybrid utility segment
- C-MAX Energi at 100 MPGe combined beats Prius Plug-in by 5 MPGe in the plug-in hybrid market
- Fiesta SFE at 40 mpg highway beats Toyota Yaris by 3 mpg in the subcompact segment
- Focus SFE at 40 mpg highway beats Corolla by 6 mpg in the compact segment
- Focus Electric at 110 MPGe city does not have a Toyota competitor
- Fusion 1.6-liter EcoBoost at 37 mpg highway beats Camry by 2 mpg in the midsize sedan segment
- Fusion Hybrid at 47 mpg highway beats Camry Hybrid by 9 mpg in the midsize hybrid sedan segment
- Taurus 2.0-liter EcoBoost at 32 mpg highway beats Avalon by 4 mpg in the full-size sedan segment
Crossovers, Trucks and SUVs
- Escape 1.6-liter EcoBoost at 33 mpg highway beats RAV-4 by 5 mpg in the small crossover segment
- Explorer 2.0-liter EcoBoost at 28 mpg highway beats Highlander by 3 mpg in the midsize crossover segment (Note: Flex 3.5-liter EcoBoost ties Highlander)
- Expedition at 20 mpg highway beats Sequoia by 2 mpg in the full-size SUV segment
- Edge 2.0-liter EcoBoost at 30 highway beats Venza by 4 mpg in the midsize crossover segment
- F-150 3.5-liter EcoBoost at 22 mpg highway beats Tundra by 2 mpg in the full-size pickup segment
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F), a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 172,000 employees and about 65 plants worldwide, the company's automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford and its products worldwide, please visit http://corporate.ford.com.
SOURCE Ford Motor Company
"delaPlex is a software development company. We do team-based outsourcing development," explained Mark Rivers, COO and Co-founder of delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jun. 28, 2016 03:38 PM EDT Reads: 150
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Jun. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,121
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. He cited examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He also highlighted how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable ...
Jun. 28, 2016 01:59 PM EDT Reads: 164
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jun. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 799
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jun. 28, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 943
Connected devices and the industrial internet are growing exponentially every year with Cisco expecting 50 billion devices to be in operation by 2020. In this period of growth, location-based insights are becoming invaluable to many businesses as they adopt new connected technologies. Knowing when and where these devices connect from is critical for a number of scenarios in supply chain management, disaster management, emergency response, M2M, location marketing and more. In his session at @Th...
Jun. 28, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,118
Basho Technologies has announced the latest release of Basho Riak TS, version 1.3. Riak TS is an enterprise-grade NoSQL database optimized for Internet of Things (IoT). The open source version enables developers to download the software for free and use it in production as well as make contributions to the code and develop applications around Riak TS. Enhancements to Riak TS make it quick, easy and cost-effective to spin up an instance to test new ideas and build IoT applications. In addition to...
Jun. 28, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 455
When people aren’t talking about VMs and containers, they’re talking about serverless architecture. Serverless is about no maintenance. It means you are not worried about low-level infrastructural and operational details. An event-driven serverless platform is a great use case for IoT. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Animesh Singh, an STSM and Lead for IBM Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, will detail how to build a distributed serverless, polyglot, microservices framework using open source tec...
Jun. 28, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 430
Apixio Inc. has raised $19.3 million in Series D venture capital funding led by SSM Partners with participation from First Analysis, Bain Capital Ventures and Apixio’s largest angel investor. Apixio will dedicate the proceeds toward advancing and scaling products powered by its cognitive computing platform, further enabling insights for optimal patient care. The Series D funding comes as Apixio experiences strong momentum and increasing demand for its HCC Profiler solution, which mines unstruc...
Jun. 28, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 351
IoT offers a value of almost $4 trillion to the manufacturing industry through platforms that can improve margins, optimize operations & drive high performance work teams. By using IoT technologies as a foundation, manufacturing customers are integrating worker safety with manufacturing systems, driving deep collaboration and utilizing analytics to exponentially increased per-unit margins. However, as Benoit Lheureux, the VP for Research at Gartner points out, “IoT project implementers often ...
Jun. 28, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 427
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his Day 2 Keynote at @ThingsExpo, Henrik Kenani Dahlgren, Portfolio Marketing Manager at Ericsson, discussed how to plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change t...
Jun. 28, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,293
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Jun. 28, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,214
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Jun. 28, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,325
Presidio has received the 2015 EMC Partner Services Quality Award from EMC Corporation for achieving outstanding service excellence and customer satisfaction as measured by the EMC Partner Services Quality (PSQ) program. Presidio was also honored as the 2015 EMC Americas Marketing Excellence Partner of the Year and 2015 Mid-Market East Partner of the Year. The EMC PSQ program is a project-specific survey program designed for partners with Service Partner designations to solicit customer feedbac...
Jun. 28, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 460
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate a...
Jun. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 883
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Jun. 26, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,346
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For more than two decades, Bsquare has helped its customers extract business value from a broad array of physical assets by making them intelligent, connecting them, and using the data they generate to optimize business processes.
Jun. 26, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,255
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Jun. 26, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,310
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Jun. 26, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,389
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. Big Data at Cloud Expo - to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is...
Jun. 26, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,389