|By PR Newswire||
|November 7, 2012 12:53 PM EST||
Continuing education credits from APA and IAAO
CAMBRIDGE, Mass., Nov 7, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Users who engage in the Lincoln Institute's self-paced online education courses about land use planning and property tax policy can now get continuing education credit from the American Planning Association and the International Association of Assessment Officers.
Upon completion of the courses, users can apply to get one credit for each hour of approved online education completed. The planning-related courses are for certification maintenance credits for planners accredited by APA's professional institute, the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP),says Armando Carbonell, chair of the Department of Planning and Urban Form.
The tax-related courses are eligible for continuing education credit within IAAO's professional designation program, according to, and Joan Youngman, chair of the Department of Valuation and Taxation.
As part of its continuing commitment to online education, the Lincoln Institute of Land Policy currently offers 12 online courses that are now available on the Adobe Captivate platform for optimal viewing. There are also numerous online courses in Spanish, in addition to lectures and conference keynote presentations at the Lectures & Videos page.
Under the Department of Planning and Urban Form, the APA-eligible courses are:
1. Comprehensive Planning. Underscoring the critical importance of citizen planners in shaping the future of their communities through simple actions (or inactions) that can have important consequences, this course encourages responsible stewardship in a society that is rapidly changing. Modules provide users with tools and techniques, case studies, good practices, and other resources to meet the needs of twenty-first century urban, rural, or suburban communities.
2. Introduction to New England Forests The topics of forest management, ecology, stewardship, and sustainability are explored in this online program coordinated by Brian Donahue of Brandeis University in Waltham, Mass. They discuss how woodlands can be actively managed for timber and at the same time protected, in the context of urban and suburban growth, for future generations.
3. Local Communities Adapting to Climate Change Adapted from a two-day course developed by Larry Susskind, Patrick Field and Todd Schenk at the Consensus Building Institute in collaboration with Steve Aldrich of Bio Economic Research Associates (bio-eraTM), and Paul Kirshen at Battelle, this course introduces decision makers to tools for climate change adaptation planning, using videos, interactive exercises, and self-assessments.
4. Practical Ecology Dan Perlman of Brandeis University in Waltham, Massachusetts introduces key lessons from the sciences of ecology and conservation biology to help land use planners, developers, and members of planning boards manage the interface between humans and nature for the benefit of all parties. Incorporating ecological and conservation insights into planning and development will increase human health and safety, add to human pleasure, and help protect native species and ecosystems.
5. Property Rights in America In this course, property rights scholar Harvey Jacobs at the University of Wisconsin–Madison acquaints participants with the history and structure of the property rights movement; approaches taken to restrict land use and environmental planning and policy (such as Measure 37 in Oregon); strategies to engage land use planning's opponents in constructive dialogue; policy approaches that address the concerns of property rights advocates; and the future of property rights in local, state, and national politics.
6. Resolving Land Use Disputes Based on the introductory course offered as part of the Mediating Land Use Disputes Series developed by Patrick Field, Ona Ferguson, and others at the Consensus Building Institute with the Lincoln Institute, this course presents practical experience and insights into negotiating and mediating solutions to conflicts over land use and community development. Through filmed lectures, interactive exercises, and simulations, participants learn about cases involving land development and community designing and adopting land use plans, and evaluating development proposals.
Under the Department of Valuation and Taxation, the IAAO eligible courses are:
7. Designing and Implementing Property Tax Systems in Africa This course provides an overview of property taxation and its role in fiscal decentralization, reviews current international practices and trends in developing and developed countries, discusses the implications of choosing different property tax bases, and examines the administrative realities inherent in any property tax system.
8. Successful Property Tax Reform: The Case of Massachusetts This course examines the deep problems of the Massachusetts property tax in the 1970s and the subsequent reforms that created one of the most functional and fair property tax systems in the United States. Course modules explore the property tax system prior to reform; events leading up to the tax revolt and the assessment reforms; and the future of the current system.
9. Taxation and Economic Development Developed by Jeffrey Chapman of Arizona State University, this course analyzes the theory and tools of local economic development in the United States. In addition to modules focused on the role of the property tax and economic development, the course also explores economic development theory and the current state of the law on these issues; innovative public financial incentives; the role of the community in economic development; special problems in rural areas; and includes case studies offering private and public perspectives on these issues.
10. The New Model of Tax Administration This course examines advanced statistical methods and new technology, such as spatial analysis and geographic information systems (GIS), that can improve the valuation of land and buildings for tax purposes.
11. Two-Rate Taxation of Land and Buildings: Benefits and Challenges of Innovative Property Tax Reform This course presents a variety of political and economic views on the taxation of land and buildings. It reviews the rationale for applying different tax rates to land and buildings, describes the history of two-rate taxation in Pennsylvania, and discusses current issues in the assessment of land value.
12. Valuing Land Affected by Conservation Easements Conservation easements brings together land policy, environmental questions and tax policy in a complex and compelling way; and though widely used and accepted since its implementation several decades ago, conservation easements still generate controversy. This course provides an overview of conservation easements, including background on the current policy debate, and draws on experts in environmental studies, planning, tax law, valuation and assessment.
The Lincoln Institute of Land Policy is a leading resource for key issues concerning the use, regulation, and taxation of land. Providing high quality education and research, the Institute strives to improve public dialogue and decisions about land policy.
SOURCE Lincoln Institute of Land Policy
What happens when the different parts of a vehicle become smarter than the vehicle itself? As we move toward the era of smart everything, hundreds of entities in a vehicle that communicate with each other, the vehicle and external systems create a need for identity orchestration so that all entities work as a conglomerate. Much like an orchestra without a conductor, without the ability to secure, control, and connect the link between a vehicle’s head unit, devices, and systems and to manage the ...
Oct. 27, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,395
Ask someone to architect an Internet of Things (IoT) solution and you are guaranteed to see a reference to the cloud. This would lead you to believe that IoT requires the cloud to exist. However, there are many IoT use cases where the cloud is not feasible or desirable. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, will discuss the strategies that exist to extend intelligence directly to IoT devices and sensors, freeing them from the constraints of ...
Oct. 27, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,197
Intelligent machines are here. Robots, self-driving cars, drones, bots and many IoT devices are becoming smarter with Machine Learning. In her session at @ThingsExpo, Sudha Jamthe, CEO of IoTDisruptions.com, will discuss the next wave of business disruption at the junction of IoT and AI, impacting many industries and set to change our lives, work and world as we know it.
Oct. 27, 2016 10:02 AM EDT Reads: 106
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Oct. 27, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,155
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential M2M Brand by Onalytica in the ‘Machine to Machine: Top 100 Influencers and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed the online debate on M2M by looking at over 85,000 tweets to provide the most influential individuals and brands that drive the discussion. According to Onalytica the "analysis showed a very engaged community with a lot of interactive tweets. The M2M discussion seems to be more fragmented and driven by some of the major brands present in the...
Oct. 27, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 11,585
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their backend AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT - especially in the connected home and office. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Kocher, founder and managing director of Grey Heron, explained how Amazon is extending its reach to become a major force in IoT by building on its dominant cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strat...
Oct. 27, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,935
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Oct. 27, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,020
SYS-CON Events announced today that Streamlyzer will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Streamlyzer is a powerful analytics for video streaming service that enables video streaming providers to monitor and analyze QoE (Quality-of-Experience) from end-user devices in real time.
Oct. 27, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,092
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Oct. 27, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,066
Cloud based infrastructure deployment is becoming more and more appealing to customers, from Fortune 500 companies to SMEs due to its pay-as-you-go model. Enterprise storage vendors are able to reach out to these customers by integrating in cloud based deployments; this needs adaptability and interoperability of the products confirming to cloud standards such as OpenStack, CloudStack, or Azure. As compared to off the shelf commodity storage, enterprise storages by its reliability, high-availabil...
Oct. 27, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,270
The IoT industry is now at a crossroads, between the fast-paced innovation of technologies and the pending mass adoption by global enterprises. The complexity of combining rapidly evolving technologies and the need to establish practices for market acceleration pose a strong challenge to global enterprises as well as IoT vendors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Clark Smith, senior product manager for Numerex, will discuss how Numerex, as an experienced, established IoT provider, has embraced a ...
Oct. 27, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,216
The Internet of Things (IoT), in all its myriad manifestations, has great potential. Much of that potential comes from the evolving data management and analytic (DMA) technologies and processes that allow us to gain insight from all of the IoT data that can be generated and gathered. This potential may never be met as those data sets are tied to specific industry verticals and single markets, with no clear way to use IoT data and sensor analytics to fulfill the hype being given the IoT today.
Oct. 27, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,885
Donna Yasay, President of HomeGrid Forum, today discussed with a panel of technology peers how certification programs are at the forefront of interoperability, and the answer for vendors looking to keep up with today's growing industry for smart home innovation. "To ensure multi-vendor interoperability, accredited industry certification programs should be used for every product to provide credibility and quality assurance for retail and carrier based customers looking to add ever increasing num...
Oct. 27, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 783
In the next forty months – just over three years – businesses will undergo extraordinary changes. The exponential growth of digitization and machine learning will see a step function change in how businesses create value, satisfy customers, and outperform their competition. In the next forty months companies will take the actions that will see them get to the next level of the game called Capitalism. Or they won’t – game over. The winners of today and tomorrow think differently, follow different...
Oct. 27, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,115
“Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CloudBerry Backup is a leading cross-platform cloud backup and disaster recovery solution integrated with major public cloud services, such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform.
Oct. 27, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,514
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, will discuss how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team a...
Oct. 27, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 773
The security needs of IoT environments require a strong, proven approach to maintain security, trust and privacy in their ecosystem. Assurance and protection of device identity, secure data encryption and authentication are the key security challenges organizations are trying to address when integrating IoT devices. This holds true for IoT applications in a wide range of industries, for example, healthcare, consumer devices, and manufacturing. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lancen LaChance, vic...
Oct. 27, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,863
What are the successful IoT innovations from emerging markets? What are the unique challenges and opportunities from these markets? How did the constraints in connectivity among others lead to groundbreaking insights? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Carmen Feliciano, a Principal at AMDG, will answer all these questions and share how you can apply IoT best practices and frameworks from the emerging markets to your own business.
Oct. 27, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,702
Big Data has been changing the world. IoT fuels the further transformation recently. How are Big Data and IoT related? In his session at @BigDataExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will explore the interplay of Big Data and IoT. He will anatomize Big Data and IoT separately in terms of what, which, why, where, when, who, how and how much. He will then analyze the relationship between IoT and Big Data, specifically the drilldown of how the 4Vs of Big Data (Volume, Variety,...
Oct. 27, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,600
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 27, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,141