|By PR Newswire||
|November 7, 2012 12:53 PM EST||
Continuing education credits from APA and IAAO
CAMBRIDGE, Mass., Nov 7, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Users who engage in the Lincoln Institute's self-paced online education courses about land use planning and property tax policy can now get continuing education credit from the American Planning Association and the International Association of Assessment Officers.
Upon completion of the courses, users can apply to get one credit for each hour of approved online education completed. The planning-related courses are for certification maintenance credits for planners accredited by APA's professional institute, the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP),says Armando Carbonell, chair of the Department of Planning and Urban Form.
The tax-related courses are eligible for continuing education credit within IAAO's professional designation program, according to, and Joan Youngman, chair of the Department of Valuation and Taxation.
As part of its continuing commitment to online education, the Lincoln Institute of Land Policy currently offers 12 online courses that are now available on the Adobe Captivate platform for optimal viewing. There are also numerous online courses in Spanish, in addition to lectures and conference keynote presentations at the Lectures & Videos page.
Under the Department of Planning and Urban Form, the APA-eligible courses are:
1. Comprehensive Planning. Underscoring the critical importance of citizen planners in shaping the future of their communities through simple actions (or inactions) that can have important consequences, this course encourages responsible stewardship in a society that is rapidly changing. Modules provide users with tools and techniques, case studies, good practices, and other resources to meet the needs of twenty-first century urban, rural, or suburban communities.
2. Introduction to New England Forests The topics of forest management, ecology, stewardship, and sustainability are explored in this online program coordinated by Brian Donahue of Brandeis University in Waltham, Mass. They discuss how woodlands can be actively managed for timber and at the same time protected, in the context of urban and suburban growth, for future generations.
3. Local Communities Adapting to Climate Change Adapted from a two-day course developed by Larry Susskind, Patrick Field and Todd Schenk at the Consensus Building Institute in collaboration with Steve Aldrich of Bio Economic Research Associates (bio-eraTM), and Paul Kirshen at Battelle, this course introduces decision makers to tools for climate change adaptation planning, using videos, interactive exercises, and self-assessments.
4. Practical Ecology Dan Perlman of Brandeis University in Waltham, Massachusetts introduces key lessons from the sciences of ecology and conservation biology to help land use planners, developers, and members of planning boards manage the interface between humans and nature for the benefit of all parties. Incorporating ecological and conservation insights into planning and development will increase human health and safety, add to human pleasure, and help protect native species and ecosystems.
5. Property Rights in America In this course, property rights scholar Harvey Jacobs at the University of Wisconsin–Madison acquaints participants with the history and structure of the property rights movement; approaches taken to restrict land use and environmental planning and policy (such as Measure 37 in Oregon); strategies to engage land use planning's opponents in constructive dialogue; policy approaches that address the concerns of property rights advocates; and the future of property rights in local, state, and national politics.
6. Resolving Land Use Disputes Based on the introductory course offered as part of the Mediating Land Use Disputes Series developed by Patrick Field, Ona Ferguson, and others at the Consensus Building Institute with the Lincoln Institute, this course presents practical experience and insights into negotiating and mediating solutions to conflicts over land use and community development. Through filmed lectures, interactive exercises, and simulations, participants learn about cases involving land development and community designing and adopting land use plans, and evaluating development proposals.
Under the Department of Valuation and Taxation, the IAAO eligible courses are:
7. Designing and Implementing Property Tax Systems in Africa This course provides an overview of property taxation and its role in fiscal decentralization, reviews current international practices and trends in developing and developed countries, discusses the implications of choosing different property tax bases, and examines the administrative realities inherent in any property tax system.
8. Successful Property Tax Reform: The Case of Massachusetts This course examines the deep problems of the Massachusetts property tax in the 1970s and the subsequent reforms that created one of the most functional and fair property tax systems in the United States. Course modules explore the property tax system prior to reform; events leading up to the tax revolt and the assessment reforms; and the future of the current system.
9. Taxation and Economic Development Developed by Jeffrey Chapman of Arizona State University, this course analyzes the theory and tools of local economic development in the United States. In addition to modules focused on the role of the property tax and economic development, the course also explores economic development theory and the current state of the law on these issues; innovative public financial incentives; the role of the community in economic development; special problems in rural areas; and includes case studies offering private and public perspectives on these issues.
10. The New Model of Tax Administration This course examines advanced statistical methods and new technology, such as spatial analysis and geographic information systems (GIS), that can improve the valuation of land and buildings for tax purposes.
11. Two-Rate Taxation of Land and Buildings: Benefits and Challenges of Innovative Property Tax Reform This course presents a variety of political and economic views on the taxation of land and buildings. It reviews the rationale for applying different tax rates to land and buildings, describes the history of two-rate taxation in Pennsylvania, and discusses current issues in the assessment of land value.
12. Valuing Land Affected by Conservation Easements Conservation easements brings together land policy, environmental questions and tax policy in a complex and compelling way; and though widely used and accepted since its implementation several decades ago, conservation easements still generate controversy. This course provides an overview of conservation easements, including background on the current policy debate, and draws on experts in environmental studies, planning, tax law, valuation and assessment.
The Lincoln Institute of Land Policy is a leading resource for key issues concerning the use, regulation, and taxation of land. Providing high quality education and research, the Institute strives to improve public dialogue and decisions about land policy.
SOURCE Lincoln Institute of Land Policy
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 25, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,538
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 25, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,875
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Aug. 25, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,582
Is the ongoing quest for agility in the data center forcing you to evaluate how to be a part of infrastructure automation efforts? As organizations evolve toward bimodal IT operations, they are embracing new service delivery models and leveraging virtualization to increase infrastructure agility. Therefore, the network must evolve in parallel to become equally agile. Read this essential piece of Gartner research for recommendations on achieving greater agility.
Aug. 25, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 567
SYS-CON Events announced today Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Aug. 25, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 563
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Aug. 25, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,107
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Aug. 25, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,730
Pulzze Systems was happy to participate in such a premier event and thankful to be receiving the winning investment and global network support from G-Startup Worldwide. It is an exciting time for Pulzze to showcase the effectiveness of innovative technologies and enable them to make the world smarter and better. The reputable contest is held to identify promising startups around the globe that are assured to change the world through their innovative products and disruptive technologies. There w...
Aug. 25, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 430
Akana has announced the availability of version 8 of its API Management solution. The Akana Platform provides an end-to-end API Management solution for designing, implementing, securing, managing, monitoring, and publishing APIs. It is available as a SaaS platform, on-premises, and as a hybrid deployment. Version 8 introduces a lot of new functionality, all aimed at offering customers the richest API Management capabilities in a way that is easier than ever for API and app developers to use.
Aug. 25, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,431
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 25, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,172
Personalization has long been the holy grail of marketing. Simply stated, communicate the most relevant offer to the right person and you will increase sales. To achieve this, you must understand the individual. Consequently, digital marketers developed many ways to gather and leverage customer information to deliver targeted experiences. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lou Casal, Founder and Principal Consultant at Practicala, discussed how the Internet of Things (IoT) has accelerated our abil...
Aug. 25, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,909
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 25, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,802
With so much going on in this space you could be forgiven for thinking you were always working with yesterday’s technologies. So much change, so quickly. What do you do if you have to build a solution from the ground up that is expected to live in the field for at least 5-10 years? This is the challenge we faced when we looked to refresh our existing 10-year-old custom hardware stack to measure the fullness of trash cans and compactors.
Aug. 25, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,629
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions wi...
Aug. 25, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,920
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Aug. 25, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,990
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Aug. 24, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,696
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 24, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,472
In today's uber-connected, consumer-centric, cloud-enabled, insights-driven, multi-device, global world, the focus of solutions has shifted from the product that is sold to the person who is buying the product or service. Enterprises have rebranded their business around the consumers of their products. The buyer is the person and the focus is not on the offering. The person is connected through multiple devices, wearables, at home, on the road, and in multiple locations, sometimes simultaneously...
Aug. 24, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,267
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Aug. 24, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,216
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Aug. 24, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,877